Tuesday, July 15, 2003

It feels good to be back here again

FINALLY, I MADE it to this page. I am supposed to have started this column about three months ago, when Sun.Star editor Fred Macaraeg suggested during one of my rare visits to his office that I resume my column. But I procrastinated, for some personal and official concerns.

Like many of my media colleagues now know, I went into a self-imposed journalistic inactivity shortly after the 2001 elections for reasons I would rather keep to myself. I was then correspondent of The Manila Times and one morning, I simply felt I did not have the drive to write anymore. I decided to concentrate my energy in my job then as Information Officer of Mayor Benjie Lim.

In fact, I did not want to be identified as a mediaman for some time, until I realized the futility of it all because one cannot really run away from a profession that he has been associated with for a long time.

I said I am resuming this column because this has been here in 1997, when then Sun. Star editor Abe Belena prodded me to write one; and then again in 1999, during my short stint as managing editor of this paper.

And let me say at the outset that I have no agenda in coming back. I do not intend to promote or to hit a specific person or group. I do not also intend to run for any elective position next year. That is farthest in my mind. This is just journalism: to inform our people and to provide them with objective analyses of day-to-day issues confronting the city and the province.

It feels good to be back here again.
*****
I had a short conversation with Vice Gov. Oscar Lambino about two weeks ago at his residence in Malasiqui town. Manong Oca was quick in saying that he will “ cross the bridge when he gets to it,” when asked if, as reported, he is really running in the 2004 elections against incumbent Rep. Gener Tulagan, who is seeking his third term.

Manong Oca was all smiles as I interviewed him, feeling flattered, perhaps, that he was being considered for the position and at the same time wondering who floated his name.

He was absolutely right in his observation that if he seeks reelection (also for his third term), it is already “in the bag.” This is because at the moment, there are no serious contenders yet in the vice gubernatorial race and Manong Oca may just be running unopposed like he did when he sought his second term. And even if somebody decides to run against him in the vice gubernatorial race, he will surely end up run away winner, considering his track record as three-term Malasiqui mayor and incumbent presiding officer of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan.

No doubt, Manong Oca will also make a good congressman in the third district and he will give Manong Gener a good fight.

But in fairness to Manong Gener, if there is a strong clamor that he seeks reelection, it is because he continues to enjoy the confidence of his constituents in the district because of his accomplishments, especially in infrastructure, during the last six years.

It was he who built the Malasiqui-Bayambang road, which for many years was called an “abortion road” because of the large potholes that littered the whole stretch of the roadline. He also built the Malasiqui-Villasis road, the San Carlos-Urbiztondo road and many other major roadlines and bridges in his district.

These projects literary and figuratively united all six third district towns by providing them easier and more convenient accessibility to one another. Aside from the travel comfort that everybody in the district now experiences, these projects have surely helped immensely in the improvement of the people’s living conditions because they can now easily market their produce, effectively eliminating lost opportunities caused by slower travel time.

Simply put, anybody who wants to slug it out with Manong Gener next year must be able to show that he or she has done better than the Congressman.
*****
ENDNOTES: Congratulations to Councilor Robert Conrad A. Matias, for being the newest member of the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Dagupan City. Robert replaced his father, Manong Condring, who died last year . . . Yesterday, the SP finally convened at its newly-renovated session hall at the third floor of the city hall after several Mondays of holding their sessions at the SP Secretariat.

QUOTE: Kailangan lamang maging masaya; huwag mo nang itanong kung papaano. -- Anonymous

No comments: